David Rendall’s article, “Freak Factor” focuses in nor only on the methods in which one can improve themselves, but also the one’s realization of self-worth. In this piece, Rendall focuses on nine methods to improve one’s outlook on life in regards to success. They may not be the most conventional ideas, rather I believe that’s the point, but Rendall gets them across in a way that’s both effective and thought-provoking.
Though many of the themes seemed to blur together a bit, there were a few that stood out to me. One of the major portions of advice came in section 2, entitled “What’s My Problem?” I don’t know how much I agree with the concept that every flaw one has can be spun as a positive attribute. While the notion does inspire confidence and self-worth, I feel that, at same time, that way of thinking also opposes one’s path to self-improvement.
I’m not the person I was back in High School. I’m glad I’m not. Back then, I never would have had the confidence to do all the school activities I’m involved in now. I would’ve been too socially awkward to try stand-up, or write for a sketch-comedy show. I improved myself, and I’m happy with the changes I’ve made. By saying every flaw is something good, you limit what you can be.
Having said that, I did like the positive spin that section 3, “Flawless: There’s Nothing Wrong With You,” put on strengths vs. weaknesses. Now, this may seem to contradict my previous statement, but I’m not saying that one should use these alternative perspectives as a reason to stop personal growth, but rather I think they offer up a wonderful alternative focus for their energy. Instead of looking at someone as stubborn, they’re dedicated. Instead of indecisive, they’re patient. Instead of unorganized, they’re creative. I think all of these offer a great way to take insults and personal critiques and channel them into being something a little more positive. We, as humans, are far too hard on ourselves at times. With newfound perspectives, we can try to ease up just a bit.
My favorite portion, however, was section 8, “Freak: The Power of Uniqueness.” As we grow up, there’s this constant desire or enforced will that we are supposed to act just like everyone else, that we’re supposed to be normal. However, at the same time, our society promotes and admires individuality. Celebrities and inventors are viewed in the highest of regards, simply because their lives go outside the ordinary. People who you grow to be friends with often times are not the same as you, but differ in many respects. The idea that uniqueness, or being a “Freak,” is not only a good, but admirable quality is one I not only agree with but also full-heartedly support.
I know from just my college years alone that the more diverse the crowd you interact with, the more fulfilling my life seems to be. We can all rely and help each other in different facets of our lives, and work together to accomplish goals. It’s important to have people in your life who stand out, but it’s equally important to be that person who stands out for others. It’s the differences in ones’ personality that make them worth remembering.
Over the years, I‘ve tried to analyze myself as much as possible to figure out my own strengths and weaknesses. I suppose I should use the term “dedicated” after section 3, but in all reality I tend to micro-manage and stubbornly obsess over things at time; that being one of my major weaknesses. This stems from another weakness, being my trust issues. However, this self-reliance has also made me fairly independent and self-motivating. I work hard and get the job done. I also think I have fairly good leadership skills, but follow commands well when prompted. I try to stay on task and remain prepared. Faults or highlights, those are elements of my personality. Now it’s my job to channel those qualities in a productive manner, and use them to build a better future for myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment