My Summaries:
Acknowledge the Lizard
“The Lizard” is a metaphor for our instinctual temptation to not go outside our comfort zone(s). In this section, or “layer,” Godin explains how we all have a baser inclination towards not wanting to be laughed at or humiliated, stemming from an overall fear of rejection from our peers.
This fear, taking the form of one’s inner monologue or self-doubt, can ultimately shut down one’s mind, making it impossible for them to achieve their goal(s). Only by acknowledging and understanding this instinct can we work, as artists, to overcome it.
I can relate to this, in remembering my first time at stand-up. I remember how nervous I was, how unconfident I felt in facing that stage and all those people. Of course, you want people to laugh at what you’re saying, but you don’t want to be the butt of your own joke. It wasn’t until I finally got up there, and started telling my jokes, that I realized I was the only thing holding myself back. While I still faced that in some following shows, it’s something you have to work at, and gets easier to face every time.
Connect
They say that networking is one of the most important lessons one learns in their life. Essentially, that’s the point Godin gets across with the section, “Connect.”
Many people mistake the number of people you meet, or followers you have, or friends acquired on Facebook with legitimate networking. Your “online footprint” does not matter as much as real world experience. However, using the internet and those small connections, can also lend to greater connections down the road.
If we make art, another one of Godin’s sections, who we know and who we distribute that art to can make all the difference. Godin exemplified Shepard Fairey, a man who created a poster of Barack Obama that wound up spreading throughout the internet. He may not have made any money off the endeavor, but people now know his name and his work, an invaluable asset. From one little art project, he’s now connected to the world. He won’t have to look for jobs, they’ll find him.
In regards to the Blog…
I have mixed feelings on how to respond to this. On one level, after reading this article, yes, I feel like these blogs do conflict with this fight against our programming. We’re all being given the same standard rubric, we’re each given the same assignments, and I’d hazard a guess that near none of my fellow students have shared their blog with anyone outside the class. All of our work goes straight into the grade. However, to call these assignments “worthless” seems a bit extreme. Through our lab work, we’ve been able to show and explore our creative sides. Through our songs and sounds capes, we’ve expressed emotions and conveyed them in different ways. Through our blog, we’re able to show that we actually know what we’re talking about.
I feel like, if people in the class had their friends reading their blogs, if sharing these and connecting with others was part of the assignment, people would give a much more personal vibe to their work. We’d be doing more than simply following a grade sheet, we’d be networking and connecting to the world. Additionally, if the blog assignments were a little bit looser, and a bit more personal, I think that people would not only put more effort into their posts, but maybe actually enjoy doing the work as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment